Testing Update — Looking for LENR (Frank Acland)

I thought I would give an update here about some testing I have been doing personally recently. I have seen something that I find encouraging, and has got me motivated to keep going.

First of all, I must say I am very much a novice with this kind of experimentation, and I am learning as I go along. Basically I am just doing this for my own curiosity and enjoyment. I am using a very basic setup, using a fuel core that has been provided to me by another researcher (who for now does not want to be identified), so I feel like I can’t take any credit for the testing I am doing. I have just put some equipment together and am taking measurements.

I first planned to use a PID to stabilize temperatures, and measure input. However I purchased a solid state relay that did not work with my PID — so I have to put that on hold for the time being. So for the time being I decided to try something more simple.

The components on the circuit are a wattmeter at the power outlet, an AC motor speed controller (basically a dimmer). These are hooked to a coil made of Kanthal A1 wire that is insulated with ceramic wool and is placed inside a cylindrical metal container (an empty Bush baked beans can). I measure the temperature using the thermometer part of the PID hooked to a thermocouple which is stuffed inside the insulation near the wire core. The fueled core is made of ceramic, and my supplier tells me it contains about 1 gram a ‘Parkhomov mixture’ — nickel powder (90%) and lithium aluminum hydride powder (10%). It is sealed with a ceramic cement. It has been pre-baked by the supplier, so I have not done any special treatment on it.

core
Ceramic core inside (broken) coil
heater
Heater with core inside

The testing is simple. I set the output with the knob on the dimmer, then watch the temperature until it reaches a steady state. After that, I turn off the power, insert the core into the coil and start it up, keeping the power output the same. Then I watch until the temperature reaches a steady state.

This morning I did a test using this process. Here are the results. With an input of around 401 Watts (it fluctuated slightly), the empty coil reached a temperature of 802 C; with the same power input the temperature reached 875 C after I put the coil inside. I held the temperature for about 15 minutes in both cases. Unfortunately, after I turned off the power for the fueled test, when I turned it back on again, I found that the wire had broken, so I will have to wind some more cores before winding

I don’t want anyone to think of this being a scientific report, it’s just a post by someone tinkering in a garage — so take it for what it’s worth, but I found the results interesting and encouraging, and I want to do more and better tests. I hope to increase temperatures in the future — without burning out coils, which has been a problem so far.

I will be happy to answer any questions here, and will be happy to take suggestions.

Frank Acland

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.