ECW Orbo Testing Thread — Week 4 (New Power Pack Arrives)

Today is the start of a new week, and we have a new system to test, so it’s a good time to start a new thread.

For reference:
Week 1 thread
Week 2 thread
Week 3 thread
The Google document started by Ged which summarizes key information from testing so far .
The Spreadsheet with the terminal readings from the ocube
The video posted by Steorn showing some of the inner workings of the Ocube

Today is a start of a new week, and we have a new Orbo system to test which arrived today — courtesy of Steorn. I am told that what I have is the inside of Steorn’s ophone. See the video below to see what they have sent me.

The size of the potted section of the pack is 38 x 98 x 13 mm. The weight of the pack, including the 9 Volt battery is 98.8 grams.

 

Here’s a video showing the setup for the test I have started this evening.

A new spreadsheet for this test has been started here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UBIA4JTDb_kBwoytR9LP7OP7tH63yUeiPn2kKye4frY/edit?usp=sharing

Here are some comments from Shaun McCarthy regarding the recharging characteristics of the orbo packs:

“Its really not a linear relationship, the energy contained in it is very non-linear, its more of a step function. It has domains, so it might sit at a voltage for a long time, then make a jump when the domains click into place. Most people who test it expect it to be a cap with a long slow rise, but it tends to go up in steps, that’s because its not actually a capacitor its a domain structure!”

Below is a video of a Skype conversation I had with Shaun McCarthy today — I am sorry about the really poor quality of sound and video. I just pointed my tablet at the screen as we talked and shot the video. The sound is very poor, so please let me know if you have any questions about anything we discussed.

March 4, 2016

With the new Orbo pack showing little sign of life at the moment, I’ve started a new long-term experiment with the Ocube. I charged it up at ports U1-U2 to 4.71 V and put reference voltage circuit on it using two 9V batteries and a 1M Ohm resistor (When setting up I mistakenly put on a 1K Ohm resistor instead of the intended 1M Ohm. I realized my mistake at 9:37 am and replaced it with a 1M Ohm resistor. these changes are now reflected in the spreadsheet). Then I placed a 2.2K Ohm resistor across U1-U2. I’ll be updating the old spreadsheet with the progress of this test here: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SmmDLw9-g_Mamtk7qloWEeWNacHwEBpXxdwdTXnAZpc/edit#gid=0

New photo by Frank Acland / Google Photos

March 12, 2016

Because the cell on o1-2 had been losing voltage, I decided to try to charge it up using a 5V DC USB power source. After about 3 days with a 2.2k Ohm resistor in the circuit, I noticed that the 5.17 V on o3-4 had returned. I then tried to boost the voltage some more on o1-2 using a 22 Ohm resistor. Below is the video of a test I did this morning. I had to cut it short as I had to leave the house for the day.

A new thread has been started here: http://www.e-catworld.com/2016/03/13/ecw-orbo-week-6-testing-thread-new-life-from-power-pack-new-testing-approach/

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.