Thanks to Teppo and Curbina for sharing the following link to a US Patent application published on March 25, 2021 for a “Low Energy Nuclear Reactor”
The assignee is the “United States of America, as represented by the Secretary of the Navy”
The inventors are: Rayms-Keller; Pearl; (Fredericksburg, VA) ; Lowry; Michael S.; (Fredericksburg, VA) ; Barker; Stacy R.; (King George, VA)
“A low energy nuclear reactor (LENR) is provided for producing thermal energy. The LENR includes first and second vessels and an ignitor. The first vessel defined a first chamber containing LENR fuel. The second vessel disposed inside the first vessel defines a second chamber containing exothermic material. The ignitor initiates the exothermic material by sparking. The LENR fuel reacts to produce the thermal energy in response to initiation heat from the exothermic material.”
1. A low energy nuclear reactor (LENR) for providing thermal energy, said LENR comprising: a first vessel defining a first chamber containing LENR fuel; a second vessel disposed inside said first vessel and defining a second chamber containing exothermic material; and an ignitor for initiating said exothermic material by sparking, wherein said LENR fuel reacts to produce the thermal energy in response to initiation heat from said exothermic material.
2. The LENR according to claim 1, further comprising an electric source to provide said sparking as sudden energy application.
3. The LENR according to claim 1, wherein said LENR fuel comprises lithium (Li) and lithium aluminum hydride (LiAlH.sub.4) as reagents and nickel (Ni) as a catalyst.
4. The LENR according to claim 1, wherein said exothermic material comprises aluminum (Al) and iron oxide (Fe.sub.2O.sub.3).
5. The LENR according to claim 1, further comprising a Seebeck device to convert said thermal energy into electrical energy.
6. The LENR according to claim 1, wherein said vessels are composed of at least one of titanium (Ti), tantalum (Ta), tungsten (W), Hastelloy, Inconel, stainless steel, alumina (Al.sub.2O.sub.3), and hafnium boride (HfB.sub.2).
7. The LENR according to claim 1, wherein said ignitor is composed of one of sodium azide (NaN.sub.3) and copper azide (Cu(N.sub.3).sub.2).